Date: 27. July 2020
Time to read: 2 min
This method of preserving small fish was widespread among fisherman in the Istra area. Created to support survival, it is also a specaility served as a welcome dish by locals.
30 dag (10oz) sardines
10 dag (3,5oz) flour
Olive oil for frying
2 – 3 dl vinegar
Bay leaf, parsley, salt, black pepper
- Remove the scales, gut, wash and tap dry the sardines.
- Roll the sardines in the flour and fry in the olive oil.
- Add salt after frying.
- Slice the onions into thin rings and fry or sauté in that same oil.
- In a large bowl arrange a layer of fish and a layer of onions, repeat layers.
- Pour over with the vinegar.
- Cover and leave to marinate in a fridge for 2 to 3 days, to develop a full aroma.
Source: Grandma's Kitchen