Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks have been different for some time.Is no longer possible to go to the grocery store to grab a little something that you fancy at that precise moment, or get a coffee at your favourite café, or go to a restaurant to celebrate an intimate event, or run a pastry shop for a slice of cake or an ice cream, or enjoy a picnic with your kids.You are left with your cooker, pantry, fridge and basic foods with a few treats.
In this situation, it is important to know how to prepare what you purchased in a tasty and simple way. All of a sudden, the grandmother's cookbook or cookbooks from popular chefs become very useful. Sometimes the simplest thing is also the best, and it is interesting how many dishes can be prepared in a simple, fun way.
From a nutritional point of view, our diet should be made up of carbohydrates, proteins, fats, vitamins and minerals. Just by eating bread baked from all the flour that you brought home from the shop will not provide your body with all the nutrients it needs.
- Check your stock of sauces and spices and enjoy your favourite ones like mustard, jam, ketchup, tahini, mayonnaise, hot sauce, sriracha, horseradish, harissa, sesame oil, vinegar, pickled jalapeno peppers, jars of red peppers and soy sauce. Photo: Don Farrall-GetyyImages/GulliverFil&Foto
- Vegetabels are very healthy. Don't forget about them. Photo:Hinterhaus Productions-GettyImages/GulliverFilm&Foto
Practical and creative skills test
I prefer to see the current situation as a test of practical and creative skills rather than leading a life of isolation or social distancing.A test of practical skills because it is important to have basic and nutritious foods on hand, and a test of creative skills because such foods require that we prepare them in many different ways.
You will quickly get tired of eating just spaghetti and tomato sauce. Try adding breadcrumbs, garlic, olive oil, bacon, prosciutto, or tuna.You can make fried or cooked rice or a frittata with spinach and peas.
A risotto with meat, various vegetables or nuts, or perhaps even a combination of both, will also taste delicious. Or you can make some lentil soup. Bouillon cubes are very useful for making soups, stews and sauces. Pancakes, for example, can be spread with peanut butter, walnut filling or a cheese filling with vegetables, instead of with jam or chocolate.They can be served baked or au gratin.
You can garnish meat with spices and sauces with a variety of ingredients and colour combinations.
Roasted stuffed peppers that can be green, yellow and red, and chicken meatballs combined with broccoli, pork or duck, purple cabbage, or black pudding served with sour cabbage, are dishes in which you can really let your creativity go wild.Of course, you should not forget the typical Slovenian Sunday lunch, consisting of beef from bouillon soup served with mashed potatoes and lettuce green salad. Well, in the present situation, no one will mind if marinated red peppers or beetroot is served instead of lettuce.
- In order for the dishes to taste delicious, it is important that you also have enough spices. Do not miss the essentials: salt, black pepper and paprika.You will also need bay leaves, marjoram, rosemary, oregano, turmeric, cinnamon, lovage and nutmeg. To make your dishes more varied, you can use bouillon cubes. Photo: wundervisuals-GettyImages/GulliverFil&Foto
- The main foods in the fridge should be eggs, parmesan, feta cheese, carrots, butter, jam, milk, curd or cottage cheese, yogurt or kefir and a meat product of your choice. Photo: fcfotodigital-GettyImages/GulliverFilm&Foto
- Bread with olives. Photo:Peter Dazeley-GettyImages/GulliverFilm&Foto
- Zucchini, aubergines, cauliflowers, peppers and broccoli are vegetables that you can use to prepare a variety of dishes and that will last for several days in the refrigerator. You can also cut all these vegetables into smaller pieces, store them in the freezer and use them to prepare boiled, steamed or roasted dishes as needed. Photo: ericsphotography-GettyImages/GulliverFilm&Foto
- Be practical. Photo:Jupiterimages-GettyImages/GulliverFilm&Foto
My apartment is a fairyland
Your apartment can become a pastry shop, restaurant, a picnic or camping place.How delighted will your children be if in this time of social distancing, they can get their hands dirty with flour and break eggs for baking and secretly lick the chocolate off their fingers.
- Cooking together is a great way to strengthen the ties between family members. Photo:skynesher-GettyImages/GulliverFilm&Foto
- Family cooking encourages healthy eating habits, enhances family conversation and bonding, stimulates openness to different tastes. Photo: filadendron-GettyImages/GulliverFilm&Foto
- Cooking is same time an educational process that teaches responsibility and builds self-esteem. And don't forget to eat a lunch together. Photo: Counter-GettyImages/GulliverFilm&Foto
From a simple sponge, you can make a cake with canned fruit, chocolate or a simple apple pie. And just plain sponge with whipped cream will also be a great treat for everyone.
And stay interesting
As parents, as partners and as sons and daughters.
When you put your kids to sleep, you can surprise your wife with her favourite cocktail, a glass of champagne or her favourite wine, or your husband with his favourite drink.
Now you are not being watched by your kids.Use these moments to have a conversation and for all the things that you don't have time for during your normal daily routine.
Staying indoors and having only limited opportunities to go outside is here to stay for a while.So don't forget to make some good coffee in the morning.Now, you do have time. Make a coffee for your beloved exactly the way they like. And? The next day is again a day of culinary creativity.
Make it colourful, delicious, full of love, playfulness and companionship with your loved ones.
Try not to hide behind a mask in front of them.Give them all that is most beautiful and creative in you. And of course, wash your hands frequently.Washing hands is also said to boost well-being.
Date: 30. March 2020
Time to read: 2 min