Date: 20. January 2023
Time to read: 2 min
The Guardian, one of the most influential newspapers, has published a list of ten of Europe's best cosy cabins for winter. The luxurious »Fairy tale at Velika Planina« cabins are mentioned first on the list.
In picking the most scenic winter hideaway, the newspaper noted history and tradition, and labelled the locations as places with a perfect snow cover, where you can admire the twinkling stars, which are even more pronounced in winter, in a Finnish sauna or snuggling in a blanket.
- The Bistra Hut graced the cover of The Guardian article. Photo: www.koca.si
- The Ojstrica Hut. Photo: Nebojša Atanackovič/www.koca.si
- Despite their traditional appearance, most of the tourist huts are very well equipped. Photo: www.koca.si
- The Bistra Hut. Photo: www.koca.si
- Some of them also have a sauna. Photo: www.koca.si
»With their cone-shaped, wood-tiled roofs ... these pretty cabins are scattered across a high plain,« is how The Guardian described the huts that are part of one of Europe's largest and most well-preserved herder settlements.
The herder settlement comprises around 140 huts and is noted for its typical architecture, which is a symbol of the Velika Planina plateau.
Despite their traditional appearance, most of the tourist huts are very well equipped. In addition to fireplaces, wireless internet and underfloor heating, some of them also have a sauna. One of the most beautiful things that a holiday on Velika Planina offers is the fabulous view that stretches over the Kamnik-Savinjske Alps and Gorenjska.
- The herder settlement comprises around 140 huts and is noted for its typical architecture, which is a symbol of the Velika Planina plateau. Photo: Iztok Medja/www.slovenia.info
- The pristine nature mesmerises with its beauty in all seasons. Photo: Ana Pogačar/www.slovenia.info
- The Ojstrica Hut. Photo: www.koca.si
With its exceptional natural environment, wonderful views and accessibility, Velika Planina is an ideal retreat from the everyday hustle and bustle. The pristine nature mesmerises in all seasons. In winter you can admire the snow-capped plateau. In spring it is adorned by blooming saffrons. In June, when herders come to stay with their livestock until September, it is especially lively, and in autumn you will be fascinated by the beautiful colours of sunsets.
The Guardian also noted the many activities offered by Velika Planina. In winter, you can enjoy skiing and night sledging under floodlights, and in summer, go on short strolls or long hikes and cycling adventures.
Joining the »Fairy tale at Velika Planina« on The Guardian's list of the ten of 10 of Europe’s best cosy cabins for winter are cabins in many famous winter resorts in Tyrol, Bavaria, Lombardy, France and near the Swedish capital of Stockholm.